Accessory after the fact is a serious criminal offense that can result in a misdemeanor or felony, depending upon the specific circumstances of each individual’s case. If you are found guilty of violating Penal Code 32, your criminal record can hold you back from obtaining a good job or securing government assistance. Those with an opportunity to fight their case are encouraged to speak with a legal professional to evaluate their options.
At MacGregor & Collins, LLP, our criminal defense legal professionals work tirelessly to provide each of their client’s with the best legal representation available. Firm partners, Ronald MacGregor and Randy Collins, have several years of experience and can help to give you the Penal Code information that you need to be successful. Call today to receive a free consultation.
PC 32 Defined
Accessory After the Fact is defined as assisting someone to escape from the consequences of their actions after an unlawful act has taken place.
In order to prosecute for CPC 32, the state has the burden to prove that:
- The accused intentionally kept, hid and assisted the person who committed a felony
- The accused was aware that the person they assisted committed a felony/ was charged/was found guilty of a felony
- The accused went on anyway to help the guilty party in order to obstruct their detainment or conviction
Penalties for Violating CPC 32
The penalties or punishment depend on a number of factors including your criminal history and the circumstances surrounding the case. Accessory After the Fact can be filed as a felony or misdemeanor, and those found guilty can face:
- Misdemeanor – Up to I Year in the Orange County Jail and a maximum $5,000 fine
- Felony – 16 Months, 2-3 Years in the California State Prison and a maximum $5,000 fine
Other Potential Penalties:
Those found guilty could also be charged with obstructing an executive officer.
If you are facing charges for California Penal Code Section 32 Accessory After the Fact, we can help. MacGregor & Collins are ready to provide you with the services you need. We will help you understand the charges against you and help to secure your future. Call MacGregor & Collins today at (888) 250-2865.