Are you facing charges for Felony DUI? DUI is filed as a misdemeanor, but with aggravating circumstances felony charges can apply. The DUI process is complicated and those who face charges can easily make mistakes that jeopardize their own freedom. These circumstances will be explored below.
We at MacGregor & Collins have over 30 years of experience in DUI, manslaughter, and other criminal offenses. We are an unparalleled criminal defense firm who will help you understand the charges brought against you and fight to get you the best judgment possible for your case. With over 10,000 DUI clients served, you can count on our attorneys to provide you with the DUI defense you need to put yourself in a position to be successful.
Felony DUI applies when the defendant was drinking and driving, and:
- Someone was injured or killed
- This is the fourth DUI offense in a period of ten years
- The defendant held a prior conviction for felony DUI
Penalties and Punishment for Felony DUI:
The penalties will vary based on the specifics of the case. As an example, felony DUI charges that result from an injury or death occurring can be prosecuted in three ways:
1. Under California Vehicle Code 23513 or DUI with Injury
2. Vehicular Manslaughter
3. Murder in the Second Degree
A skilled lawyer can weigh the options to determine the best angle for defense. The lawyers will also work to prove innocence against intoxication charges – and instead provide proof that the incident was purely accidental.
The typical sentence for Felony DUI with Injury include:
- Up to 4 years in the California State Prison
- Up to $5,000 in fines
- Participation in a drug education program
- Victim restitution
- Up to three years of registration as an Habitual Traffic Offender
In regards to fourth DUI offenders, previous offenses include:
1. Wet Reckless Defenses
2. A misdemeanor DUI
3. DUI convictions in other states
The typical sentence of Felony DUI include:
- Up to 3 years in the California State Prison
- Up to $1,000 in fines
- Up to 4 years license suspension
- Registration as an Habitual Traffic Offender
If you are facing Felony DUI charges in California, the OC DUI defense lawyers at MacGregor & Collins can help you. We will bring more than forty years of experience to aid you in this challenging time. Call us today at (888) 250-2865.