To live in Newport Beach, you have to be pretty well off, leading many individuals to seek out opportunities to obtain money by any means possible. If you have been charged with fraud offenses, you can expect prosecutors to treat you and your offense very seriously. California fraud laws and penalties may require a skilled legal professional to properly evaluate your case and identify the best possible defense strategies to help prove your innocence. Call our Newport Beach criminal lawyers to receive a free case evaluation to help you make informed decisions about your future.
Fraudulent crimes are distinguished by two elemental actions:
- Conducting an illegal activity such to benefit oneself
- Performing an activity that is detrimental to a victim
Most fraud crimes stem from the intent to gain something financially, or as a way to elude criminal penalties.
Here are a few examples:
- Perjury – which is falsely stating or writing a testimony in or out of court.
- Forgery – a common example would be signing a check or document for someone else – and without his or her consent
- Theft – which can include petty theft, which is stealing goods valued at under $950. Grand theft is the stealing of goods valued over this amount. Contact a lawyer for either of these crimes, especially if you’re citizenship is compromised on American soil. Most fraud crimes subject offenders to moral turpitude laws. Defendants who wait until the last minute may find themselves in an even tougher spot for defense.
- Identity Theft – this is prosecuted in Federal Court, which is why it’s important to contact a lawyer as soon as possible if you’re now under suspicion.
There are other fraud cases that our lawyers can work to defend, including those related to real estate, insurance, welfare, financial crimes and much more. These white collar crimes aren’t always what they seem. With the rise of technology and the internet, it’s easy to be mistaken for the real offender.
If you are facing charges for Newport Beach Fraud Crimes such as embezzlement, shoplifting, grand auto theft, or any offenses described above, the Orange County fraud attorneys at MacGregor & Collins can help you. We will work tirelessly in your defense to aid you during this challenging time. Call us today at (888) 250-2865.