California Penal Code 288.4
Are you facing charges for Arranging a Meeting with a Minor for a Lewd Purpose? Violation of Penal Code 288.4 can result in a serious criminal convictions. At the Law Offices of Randy Collins, our sex crime defense lawyers can help you better understand your charges and advise you of your options. Call (844) 285-9559 to receive a free case evaluation for up to one hour.
PC 288.4 Defined
Anyone who arranges a meet up with someone under the age of 18 (any child), with the intent to commit a lewd act with them can be found guilty of violating PC 288.4.
For the prosecution, obtaining a conviction against you for violating CPC 288.4 would require proof that you were guilty of:
- organizing a meeting with a minor
- intending to expose your genitals or anal area to the child, or made the child do so
- doing so to gratify or arouse the sexual desires of yourself or the child in question
If prosecutors can prove that you sent harmful matter to the minor and arranged a meetup with bad intentions, you could be charged with violating PC 288.2 in addition to other criminal charges.
Potential Penalties for 288.4 Violations
The penalties or punishment for Arranging a Meeting with a Minor for a Lewd Purpose depends on what the category crime it is being filed under (misdemeanor or felony), and those found guilty can face:
- Misdemeanor – Up to 1 Year in a County Jail, a maximum $5,000 fine, informal probation and registration as a sex offender. (Misdemeanors are filed for those who have no prior sexual convictions).
- Felony – Up to 1 Year in the County Jail or 16 months, two or three years in a California State Prison, a maximum $10,000 fine, formal probation, and lifetime registration as a sex offender.
Offenders who commit this crime and are registered sex offenders are automatically filed as a felony.
There are several defense strategies used by past sex crime defendants that have been successful. It is not uncommon for a sex crime allegation to be false, or for there to be a case of mistaken identity.
If you are facing Arranging a Meeting with a Minor for a Lewd Purpose for violating California penal codes, speaking with one of our sex crime attorney may be in your best interest. California sex crime law is very complicated and requires an experienced legal professional to fully evaluate a person’s legal options. Call us today to receive a free case evaluation from attorneys with more than 65 years of combined experience in California.