Orange County Drug Crime Attorney
Defending Controlled Substances Offenses in Orange County, Riverside, San Bernardino & Los Angeles
With recent changes in California drug crime laws, it is more important than ever to have a reliable and experienced Orange County drug crimes lawyer by your side. As the court system adjusts to these changes, you will need an Orange County drug crimes lawyer who is abreast of updates in the laws and knows how to work them in your favor.
The outcome of your case depends on the charges against you, the range of circumstances leading up to your arrest, and the attorney you choose for legal representation. A Orange County drug crimes attorney can help by seeking a lighter or alternative sentence or by having the charges dismissed altogether depending on the particulars of your situation. Every illegal substance case is unique and deserves to be treated with personal attention.
A criminal record that contains a conviction for these types of offenses can be crippling when it comes time to finding a job and even housing. You need a Orange County drug crimes attorney who is committed to finding a favorable outcome for you.
Schedule a free consultation with our Orange County drug crimes lawyers at the Law Offices of Randy Collins to discuss your case by calling (844) 285-9559.
If you have been arrested or charged for a drug crime, you can expect to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Defendants facing allegations for the possession, sale, or transportation of illegal substances can face thousands of dollars in fines and years in prison. Whether you are seeking information about minor marijuana possession or are facing years in prison for large-scale transportation and distribution, our drug crime attorneys in Orange County can use their years of experience to provide you with aggressive and effective legal defense.
Attorney Randy Collins is a former prosecutor who spent considerable time with police officers and opposing counsel. He has prosecuted numerous misdemeanor and felony offenses and has excelled at defending possession, sales, and transportation charges for many defendants. Collins has provided successful legal counsel for drug crimes involving marijuana, heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, DMT, Ecstasy, opium, as well as other lesser-known narcotics.
What Is a California Drug Crime?
In California, drug crimes cover a wide range of offenses. These include the possession and sale of illegal intoxicants, as well as manufacturing and transporting and distribution. The number of drugs considered to be illegal under California law is vast.
The list includes:
Possessing or selling certain prescription medications without a physician issued prescription is also a criminal offense.
Here are some of the top Orange County drug offenses that our lawyers defend:
- Simple Possession of a Controlled Substance – as the name suggests, if someone is caught in active or constructive possession of a controlled substance, the penalties will vary based on the defendant’s criminal history or the quantity found. The alternatives for imprisonment or jail time include participating in drug diversion programs.
- Drug Possession for Sale – possession of drugs for resales is a felony that subjects offenders to up to four years imprisonment and up to $20,000 in fines. The prosecution will look for elements of the crime such as paraphernalia that would point to sales verses personal use. There are several defenses that a competent lawyer can help develop.
- Sale and Transportation of Drugs – this is often uncovered through informants or police sting operations. Orange County drug crime attorneys can argue police entrapment, in which case the defendant would not have participated in this crime, if it were not suggested by the pretending office.
The outcome of your charge depends on several factors, including the amount of the narcotic in question, the manner in which it was found in your possession, and any past criminal history you may have.
Penalties for Drug Crimes in California
The penalty you are facing depends on your past criminal history, the type of substance involved, and the amount. The purpose of having the drug in your possession can also play heavily into the punishment given. Possession for personal use may result in up to 1 year in jail. However, if the prosecutor believes that you had an intent to sell, the penalty could be as high as 5 years in prison.
Your attorney will also discuss the possibility of entering a treatment program as a part of your defense. If completed with success, many of these programs will allow for the charge to be dismissed entirely from your criminal record.
Since a conviction will have a lasting effect on your future, it is vital to find an Orange County drug crime attorney that will aggressively fight to keep your record clean.
Defenses for Drug Crimes in Orange County, CA
The circumstances of your case will be reviewed thoroughly to determine your best defense. As Orange County drug crime attorneys, it’s our job to make sure that every possible drug crime defense is evaluated and analyzed.
Police officers make mistakes, and some of those mistakes can lead to case dismissals and not guilty verdicts.
To help secure a conviction, police officers might:
- Violate California citizens’ rights regarding search and seizure
- Make false entries on police reports
- Fail to adhere to California entrapment laws
- Detain suspects without proper evidence
- Provide false claims to judges that result in illegally obtained searches
When police officers fail to follow the laws that govern their work, they open up opportunities for defendants to call the officer or their work into question. Procedures are created to protect your freedom and make sure that police officers are not violating your rights to try and wrongfully convict you. If they don’t walk the line, your possibilities for defense increase.
Our Orange County drug crime attorneys know several defenses can be raised in drug crimes cases, such as:
- Unlawful Search and Seizure: The police are obligated to follow certain protocol if they suspect that you have drugs in your possession. Without a compelling reason behind conducting a search of your person or belongings, anything found will not be allowed to be used as evidence against you.
- Improper Chemical Analysis: Finding a substance that looks like cocaine is not enough for a prosecutor to convict you. They must have it tested by a crime lab. How the substance was tested may be used to shed doubt on the prosecution’s case against you.
- No Possession: In cases where the drug was found inside of a home or car, an attorney could attest that it did not belong to you or that you had no knowledge of its presence. It will then be up to the prosecutor to provide evidence to the contrary.
These are just a few of the possibilities your defense attorney has in proving your innocence. The strategy they use will depend on the unique circumstances of your case.
Need Legal Help? Obtain A Free Consult From Our OC Drug Attorneys
When you are facing a drug crime charge in Orange County or Riverside, having a local lawyer at your side is imperative. Not only are they familiar with the current laws and policies concerning these offenses, but they also have personal knowledge of how the court system and prosecutors tend to handle these matters.
Our Orange County drug crimes lawyer can examine your case and find the weakness that will allow us to work toward a favorable outcome such as a dismissal of the charge or a reduced sentence.
Do not hesitate to call a Orange County drug crimes attorney if you have been charged with a drug crime. The earlier you give them the facts of your case, the quicker they will be able to resolve it. With knowledge of your charge, they can aggressively fight on your behalf to work toward the best outcome for you and your future.
Over 45 years of Collective Experience
Thousands of Cases Successfully Handled
Former Deputy District Attorney
Impressive Track Record of Results
Highly Respected by Peers and Clients
Free Initial Consultation
Our hard work and dedication have created a reputation that precedes us, and you will need every advantage available when your freedom is on the line.