California Penal Code 422.7
Are you facing charges for Aggravating Factors for Hate Crimes? Violation of Penal Code 422.7 is a very serious criminal offense. Those convicted can face serious penalties, including time in prison and thousands of dollars in fines. If you are faced with this offense, you may best served by contacting a skilled criminal defense legal professional to have your case fully evaluated.
At MacGregor & Collins, LLP, our attorneys have been assisting California citizens for a combined 40 years plus. In addition to top notch legal representation, you will also receive the benefit of an attorney who cares about your well-being and has your best interests at heart. Call us today to experience the difference and find out what options you have available.
PC 422.7 Defined
Anyone who commits another aggravating offense, while committing a hate crime, is subject to additional penalties. The prosecution can enhance a misdemeanor hate crime offense into a felony, based on factors discussed below.
Hate crimes are defined as injuring or intimating another someone due to stereotyping.
In order to prosecute for Orange County CPC 422.7 Aggravating Factors for Hate Crimes, the state has the burden to prove you are guilty of:
- The accused committed an offense on another due to the victim’s characteristics and/or specific beliefs
- The accused stripped the victim of their constitutional right to be liberated from force, violence or threats
In addition, the prosecution considers:
- That the defendant had the capacity to commit a violent act or injure the victim at that time
- The victim sustained bodily injury or there was an attempt made by the offender to injure the victim
- The offender has a prior history of committing a hate crime
- The offender vandalized property of the victim, and inflicted more than $950 in damages
Potential Penalties for CPC 422.7 Violations
The above Aggravating Factors for Hate Crimes makes the crime a felony, and those found guilty face:
- Up to 3 years in the California State Prison
- Up to $10,000 in fines
If you are facing Aggravating Factors for Hate Crimes for California Penal Code Section 422.7, the OC criminal defense attorneys at MacGregor & Collins can help you. Call us today at (844) 285-9559.