California Penal Code 518
Are you facing charges for Extortion or Blackmail? Violation of Penal Code 518 is a serious felony. If convicted, you could face years in a California state prison and be ordered to bay thousands of dollars in fines. A felony conviction can affect several areas of your life and limit your ability to obtain employment and take advantage of government opportunities.
At the Law Offices of Randy Collins, our Orange County white collar defense attorneys have decades of combined experience assisting those facing charges for California offenses. Whether it is your first offense or you have a long criminal history, a MacGregor & Cllins, LLP legal professional can provide you with a free case evaluation and help you evaluate your options. Fill out our contact form or call us today to get help now.
California Penal Code 518 Defined
Anyone who knowingly threatens other parties for personal gain and uses force can be found guilty of violating California Penal Code 518. In order for prosecutors to convince a jury that you are guilty of CPC 518, they will need to be prepared to provide sufficient evidence that you:
- received the personal property of another
- received this property by the authorization of another
- obtained permission by the use of threat, menace or force
Common threats used in extortion or blackmail cases include:
- Threatening someone to inflict bodily or property injury
- Threatening to blame someone or their family for a crime
- Threatening to dishonor someone or their family
- Threatening to disclose something confidential about someone or their family
Types of Extortion or Blackmail:
- Applying violence or threat to get finances or personal property
- Applying violence or threat to extort an officer to carry out a notarized action
- Using someone’s official position to extort money or property from someone else
Penalties for PC 518 Violations
CPC 518 Extortion and Blackmail is a felony punishable by:
- Up to 4 Years in the California State Prison
- A maximum fine of $10,000
Extortion Defense Assistance
If you are facing extortion or blackmail charges for violating Penal Code 518, speaking with a skilled criminal defense attorney could help. By taking advantage of a free consultation, you may be putting yourself in a better position to avoid hefty penal code penalties and fines. Call 844-285-9559 today and one of our Orange County criminal attorneys will speak with you for up to one hour.
Facing charges for bribery? Click on PC 137a to get help with your offense.