California Penal Code 166

Have you been charged with being in contempt of the court? Violation of California Penal Code 166 is a misdemeanor offense and can increase your penalties. With proper legal assistance, you may be able to convince the court that you either did not know you were acting in contempt of court, or that you have been falsely accused. You may even be able to have your charges dismissed. Speaking with an attorney will help you to better evaluate your options.


At MacGregor & Collins, LLP, our Orange County criminal attorneys have represented countless alleged felons for a wide variety of different offenses. They have helped defend those facing PC 166 violations and can help you to obtain a favorable outcome. CallĀ (888) 250-2865 to take advantage of their penal code knowledge to help you make decisions that are in your best interest.


PC 166 Defined


Orange County Contempt of Court is disobeying or disrespecting the authority of the court.


In order to prosecute for Orange County CPC 166 Contempt of Court, the state has the burden to prove the following actions took place:


  • An Orange County judge gave an order
  • The accused was aware of the order
  • The accused was able to follow the order
  • The accused did not comply with the order


Here are a few examples:


  • Disobeying a court order
  • Disrupting court proceedings
  • Giving a false account of court proceedings
  • Denying to be sworn as a witness


There are numerous other behaviors that would perhaps warrant someone being in contempt of the court. Above are just some of the common reasons why persons will be guilty of this offense.


Possible Punishments for CPC 166 Violations


Being in contempt of the court is a misdemeanor punishable by:


  • A fine of up to $1000 and/or
  • Imprisonment in county jail for up to six months


Other Potential Penalties:


If you violated a stay away order which stemmed from domestic or elder abuse, the penalties will increase to one year in the Orange County jail.


If you are facing charges for California Penal Code Section 166, we can help. MacGregor & Collins attorneys can assist you in a variety of different ways, even if you do not retain their legal services. Call or fill out our contact form to help you and yours get the help that needed to be successful.

Free Consultation

Criminal Defense Guides