Are you facing charges for Arranging a Meeting with a Minor for a Lewd Purpose? Violation of Penal Code 288.4 can result in a serious criminal convictions. At MacGregor & Collins, LLP, our sex crime defense lawyers can help you better understand your charges and advise you of your options. Call (888) 250-2865 to receive a free case evaluation for up to one hour.
PC 288.4 Defined
Anyone who arranges a meet up with someone under the age of 18 (any child), with the intent to commit a lewd act with them can be found guilty of violating PC 288.4.
For the prosecution, obtaining a conviction against you for violating CPC 288.4 would require proof that you were guilty of:
- organizing a meeting with a minor
- intending to expose your genitals or anal area to the child, or made the child do so
- doing so to gratify or arouse the sexual desires of yourself or the child in question
If prosecutors can prove that you sent harmful matter to the minor and arranged a meetup with bad intentions, you could be charged with violating PC 288.2 in addition to other criminal charges.
Potential Penalties for 288.4 Violations
The penalties or punishment for Arranging a Meeting with a Minor for a Lewd Purpose depends on what the category crime it is being filed under (misdemeanor or felony), and those found guilty can face:
- Misdemeanor – Up to 1 Year in a County Jail, a maximum $5,000 fine, informal probation and registration as a sex offender. (Misdemeanors are filed for those who have no prior sexual convictions).
- Felony – Up to 1 Year in the County Jail or 16 months, two or three years in a California State Prison, a maximum $10,000 fine, formal probation, and lifetime registration as a sex offender.
Offenders who commit this crime and are registered sex offenders are automatically filed as a felony.
There are several defense strategies used by past sex crime defendants that have been successful. It is not uncommon for a sex crime allegation to be false, or for there to be a case of mistaken identity.
If you are facing Arranging a Meeting with a Minor for a Lewd Purpose for violating California penal codes, speaking with a MacGregor & Collins, LLP sex crime attorney may be in your best interest. California sex crime law is very complicated and requires an experiened legal professional to fully evaluate a person’s legal options. Call us today to receive a free case evaluation from attorneys with more than 40 years of combined experience in California.